Florida Certified Master Builders are elite Home Builders, Remodelers and Commercial Contractors who are dedicated to excellence in building and client satisfaction. The builders who request certification hold themselves to a higher standard than required by the State of Florida for licensure.
Florida Certified Master Builders must meet strict requirements and demonstrate a proven track record of building expertise, business stability, integrity and exceptional customer service. Their education, design and product research requirements keep them in tune with the latest building practices and design trends.
This certification was created to help consumers find a builder they can trust.
A certification identifies you as a skilled professional, acknowledges your experience and highlights you as an industry leader.
A Florida Master Builder Certification is also a powerful marketing tool, providing clients with the assurance that they are choosing a professional builder with years of experience, a commitment to ethical conduct and a dedication to ongoing training.
Consumers view Florida Certified Master Builders as:
• Highly skilled professionals
• Reliable and ethical individuals
• Current on the latest trends and techniques
• Someone who takes pride in their work
• More knowledgeable than other builders
Florida Certified Master Builders benefit from increased visibility due to statewide promotion and the respect and recognition of their certification, which gives them a competitive edge.
Florida Certified Master Builders must:
• Have at least 7 years of work experience in the construction industry or hold a Bachelor’s Degree in the construction field
• Have held a contractor license for at least 5 years
• Derive their principle income from the building industry
• Provide proof of workers comp and liability insurance
• Offer clients a written contract on all building and remodeling projects with standard dispute resolution and disclaimer language
• Issue a minimum of a 1-year Home Warranty on all newly constructed projects • Have a clean building record defined as no outstanding issues with the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board (CILB) or the applicant's local building jurisdiction
• Pass a criminal background check
• Have a credit rating of 700 or better
• Pass a reference check with a client satisfaction rating of 4 or better out of a scale of 1-5, where 5 is the highest satisfaction rating
• Pass a subcontractor and supplier reference check
• Be a member in good standing of a professional builders association (3 years minimum)
• Submit a Florida Certified Master Builder Application detailing their experience in the construction industry
• Sign a Florida Certified Master Builder Agreement indicating their continued compliance with all Florida Certified Master Builder requirements and standards
• Be vetted and approved by the Florida Master Builder Certification Board
Keeping your Florida Certified Master Builder designation is simple. Your certification renews biennially in the month you became certified. For example, if you were certified as a Florida Master Builder in July 2016, your renewal would be due by July 31, 2018.
For renewal, Florida Certified Master Builders must:
• Complete six hours of Florida Certified Master Builder ethics, project management, customer service, professional development, business management, building science or design designation courses per renewal cycle (available online or at the Southeast Building Conference)
• Attend a regional or national building industry expo per certification renewal cycle
• Complete a renewal form, along with the bi-annual renewal fee
• Continue to meet these eight qualifications:
1. Derive their principle income from the building industry
2. Maintain a client satisfaction rating of 4 or better out of a scale of 1-5, where 5 is the highest satisfaction rating
3. Offer clients a written contract on all building and remodeling projects
4. Issue a minimum of a 1-year Home Warranty on all newly constructed projects
5. Have a clean building record
6. Pass a criminal background check
7. Have a credit rating of 700 or better
8. Be a member in good standing of a professional builders association
Certified Master Builders will receive:
• Licensing rights to use the Florida Certified Master Builder logo on their website and in all of their marketing materials
• A Florida Certified Master Builder certificate for display in their office
• A Florida Certified Master Builder identification card
• Regional promotion in select consumer publications, press releases and local media outlets
• Two (2) Florida Certified Master Builder decals for use in their office and on their vehicles
• Complimentary Florida Certified Master Builder pamphlets for the promotion of certification to potential clients
• Listing on the Florida Certified Master Builder website with a hyperlink to the builder’s company website
• Exclusive access to the Florida Certified Master Builder online store to purchase additional branded marketing materials for the promotion of certification to potential clients